Virtual Property Tours vs. 3D Tours: What’s the Difference?
Virtual property tours and 3D tours are both great ways to showcase a property to potential buyers or create a 3-dimensional digital twin of a building or structure. But there are some key differences between the two. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at what each type of tour is, how they’re created, and their respective advantages and disadvantages.
What is a virtual property tour?
A virtual property tour is a digital representation of a physical space. It’s created by stitching together a series of 360-degree panoramic images, which allow viewers to explore the space immersively. Virtual property tours can be viewed on a computer, smartphone, or tablet, and they’re often embedded on estate agent websites.
What is a 3D virtual tour?
A 3D virtual tour is a more advanced type of virtual tour that captures depth information. This means that viewers can not only explore the space in 360 degrees, but they can also zoom in and out, walk around objects, and even take measurements. 3D tours are typically created using specialised cameras or systems like the Matterport, and they require a little more processing power to view.
How are virtual property tours and 3D tours created?
Virtual property tours are typically created using a 360-degree camera. These cameras capture a full 360-degree view of the space, which is then stitched together to create a panoramic image. The panoramic images are then uploaded to a website or app, where viewers can explore the space in full 360 degrees.
3D virtual tours are created using a similar process, but they also capture depth information. This is done using specialised equipment that can measure the distance between objects in the space. The depth information is then used to create a 3D model of the space, which can be viewed in a variety of ways.
As a potential property buyer, 3D virtual tours are a great way to get the feel of a building, interior or structure, without having to visit it. For business users, surveyors and facilities managers, 3D virtual tours can output smart digital twins to help them understand their assets simply, and in more depth.
What are the advantages of virtual and 3D property tours?
Both virtual and 3D tours offer a number of advantages over traditional methods of viewing property, such as in-person showings or video tours. These advantages include:
- Convenience: Virtual property tours can be viewed from anywhere, at any time. This makes them a great option for busy buyers who don’t have time to schedule an in-person showing.
- Cost-effectiveness: Virtual property tours are a more cost-effective way to market a property than in-person viewings. This is because they can be viewed by multiple people at the same time and obviously don’t incur travel costs.
- Remote: Save on travel expenses by viewing a property remotely. Perhaps you have a team of people spread out around the country, or around the world – now you can all view a property remotely – saving your business time and money.
What are the advantages of 3D virtual tours specifically?
3D tours offer some additional advantages over virtual property tours, including:
- Depth perception: 3D tours allow viewers to perceive depth, which gives them a more realistic sense of the space. This can be helpful for buyers who are trying to visualise how furniture or equipment will fit in a room, or who want to get a better sense of the layout of a property.
- Interactivity: 3D tours are often more interactive than virtual property tours. This means that viewers can zoom in and out, walk around objects and take measurements. This can be helpful for buyers who want to get a closer look at specific features of a property.
Which type of tour is right for you?
The best type of tour for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you’re looking for a convenient and cost-effective way to view property, then a virtual property tour may be a good option for you. If you want a more immersive and interactive experience, then a 3D virtual tour may be a better choice.
At Sky Revolutions, we only use the very latest equipment and systems to produce high quality imagery. Talk to our specialist team today about 3D virtual tours – a highly cost-effective way to share detailed 3-dimensional content virtually.